FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. Are all items currently available?
A. Yes, you may contact us for more information on pricing.
Q. What is the advantage of the small size and low weight of the 3D flash LIDAR camera?
A. ASC’s 3D Flash LIDAR camera has the approximate form factor of a typical 2D digital camera. Typically, these cameras can be used on lightweight platforms such as small UAVs.
Q. Why is a high data rate so important?
A. High data rate means that topographical mapping, for example, can be obtained more rapidly decreasing the flight time required.
A clear, but perhaps not-so-intuitive, advantage of the high data rate is that time dependent 3D movies can be acquired at the repetition frequency of the associated laser, making 3D collision avoidance, 3D robotic navigation and 3D object tracking possible. The high-speed deformation of objects can also be captured.
Another advantage is that the 3D images cannot be blurred by platform motion, platform vibration and object motion due to the speed-of-light capture of the data frame.
Q. What are some of the applications for Flash LIDAR?
A. Applications for Flash LIDAR:
- Small UAV Topographical Mapping
- UGV Navigation
- Obscuration Penetration
- Underwater 3-D Mine Detection and Identification
- Security (Perimeter and Harbor)
- Potential IED Identification when 3-D Fused with IR and Visible 2-D Sensors
- RPG, Mortar and potentially MANPAD Tracking
- Self-Correcting Missile Seeker for Laser Designated Targets
- Autonomous Missile Seeker
- High Speed Imaging of Object and Deformation
Q. What is ASC’s background?
A. Advanced Scientific Concepts, LLC. (ASC) was founded in 1987 for the purpose of developing cutting-edge sensors based on ASC Readout Integrated Circuit (ROIC) designs. One of those sensor systems, which eventually became known as 3D Flash LIDAR, was initially designed for underwater laser radar (LIDAR) imaging and later developed by ASC engineers and scientists into a dual-mode obscuration penetration and hard target 3-D imaging capability. ASC’s 3D Flash LIDAR sensors are active, requiring a laser pulse to probe the external world and, via reflection, bring back range and intensity information.
Q. What are the advantages of 3D Flash LIDAR?
A. Advantages of 3D Flash LIDAR:
- All pixels in frame automatically registered
- Unaffected by platform motion (speed of light system)
- Can generate dynamic (time dependent), dimensionally accurate 3-D “movies”
- Camera is lightweight and small
- No altitude limitation for topographical mapping
Q. How is the camera controlled?
A. Control is accomplished through a user-friendly GUI run on a laptop computer. The GUI also displays a 3D image that can save a JPEG file and 3D AVI movie. Alternatively, the 3D image can be exported as X, Y, Z intensity coordinates of each pixel in a text file.